The main objectives identified for achieving the proposed goals are the following:
- Study in detail the development prospects of the electrical power systems, identifying alternative reference architectures, supported by technologies and business models associated with any of the three main axes of action;
- Establish, based on the analysis of the foreseen evolution, a set of case studies (Business Use Cases) which should clearly address the challenges and provide input for each of the project’s axes of action;
- Define detailed requirements to support the development of a number of innovative features that allow:
- Promoting and defining new approaches to foster the involvement of end users, with the support of technological solutions that promote their active participation in energy markets and distribution grid operation and more efficient use of energy;
- Developing advanced solutions for safer and more efficient management and control of the distribution grid through smart systems based on cutting-edge technologies that address the growing complexity of the power system with high integration of renewable energy;
- Studying new market structures and alternative business models that contribute to the overall efficiency of the system through mechanisms that promote the effective integration of the proposed solutions;
- Validate in a conclusive way the solutions identified through simulation and proof of concept allowing the evaluation of the adequacy and effectiveness of the methods proposed to meet the expected challenges.